The Automatic GUI realization of all existing Metropolis Applications..And that is just the beginning!
Metropolis 10 integrates our new METGUI Flex/Flash based front end into the mix. Over the last 10 years we have been trying to find the proper GUI interface to work with existing Met Applications. Finally we now have the tool set (Flex/XML) to get the job down right!
Our new front end is nothing short of amazing as it almost effortlessly converts almost 100% of existing character based screen files and translates them into .xml form files that are used as the starting point for the new GUI.
All the fields in your .s files are converted into individual components. The choice of the type of component is based on each field as it is converted. The METGUI system allow for an unlimited number of component types to be designed and integrated into an application. Typical components are Text, Input Fields, Label Fields, Check Boxes, Buttons etc. METGUI comes configured with all the components necessary to build state of the art GUI applications and most of the work is done for you.
The METGUI IDE
That is just the start – also included is our new METGUI IDE (Integrated Development Environment). This is where all new development of applications takes place. In this IDE, you will now be able to integrate literally ANY language with ANY Data Base Access – all as effortlessly as possible.
The reason we decided to build our own IDE was to simplify by targeting form based applications, where the Eclipse IDE used in Flex has many features that are not needed. However, the Flex IDE can be used in special cases and easily integrated into a METGUI application. In addition by using Flex to build the METGUI IDE the developer can concentrate on one language and even extend the IDE as well.
And this new environment is fully extensible using standard Flash or Flex development tools.
As you are probably aware, Flash is fully portable and available on platforms down to the PDS and Cell Phone Level, giving you the ability to deploy applications everywhere!
The METGUI Client Features:
- Browser and Stand Alone Application versions.
- Has a character mode ABW integrated into it so that any problem screens or specially coded applications will still run at the same time as newer GUI applications.
- Flip jobs have GUI Tabs
- New Role based User Menu System – replaces EXMENU with a Data Base driver security based interface.
- Turns ALT-Menu based screens into GUI Tab
- MSG extended messaging component – allow for messages to be stored in a variety of new formats.
- ALT-3 component – we were the very first IM system! Now we are bringing this function into the full GUI world.
- Error Message Component – User can single click to email errors to supervisors etc, or developers can setup to do this automatically.
- VUEMLT advanced GUI component – all the power of VUEMLT in a new GUI format with sortable columns etc.
- Multimedia Components can pull directly from any web site within any form based on data on the form.
- Pop-up forms to effortlessly handle existing FliP windowing interface.
- Careful attention has been paid to having applications run well in both GUI and keyboard mode – to the extent that the client has a “keyboard mode” that changes certain components to more keyboard friendly ones.
- User changeable themes instantly change the look and size of components to suit each users needs and tastes.
- SSH telnet interface.
- Field Number Component (Allows displayed field #’s to be turned on/off in client)
- At the push of a button in the METGUI client, any screen is instantly opened in the METGUI IDE. At this point, the developer has the option of adjusting the position and properties of all fields as well as adding or changing any component on the form. The METGUI IDE will replace all of the character based screen, and data base create tools into one easy to use extensible IDE.
The METGUI Interface is written entirely in Adobe/Macromedia’s new FLEX /Action Script 3 development IDE. The resulting 2 or 3 executable files are Flash .swf files that will allow GUI based development and runtime execution of ALL of the applications ever written under Metropolis!
We are in the middle of testing MET10 and METGUI at several sites, with a release scheduled for year end.
For a Presentation on METGUI, click HERE